Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tomato science project

Yesterday, I was walking through Walmart and found my personal favorite section - the clearance section. At the end of summer all the garden stuff goes on sale and there was one of those upside down tomato planters for $2. How could I pass it up.

I have been pretty bummed this year not getting to plant a garden so I saw this as a silver lining, who knows I might get a harvest in time for canning time. So the experiment is does it work. It took me a while to find a place to set it up. The shepherd hook I planned on using bowed over in half after filling it half way with dirt. I ended up hanging it on the side of the shed.

So far the only down side to this upside down planter is how heavy it is. I would have gotten half the workout if I had just dug a hole and tied it to a stake. It took a lot holding it up and guessing how high to put the screw.

I also found some potato planters that I plan on starting as soon as some potatoes get eyes. Really looking forward to my discount garden experiments. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment